[Ontbirds]Beeton & Holland Landing Lagoons

Dave Worthington worth at pathcom.com
Wed Sep 10 19:00:11 EDT 2008

My wife and I went to the Beeton Sod farms at 9:30 this morning on 9th Line
west of Sideroad 15. While there Dave Milsom came by and we observed the 2
Buff-breasted Sandpipers previously reported along with ~50 Golden Plovers,
a few Black-bellied Plovers, 10+ Killdeer and an Osprey that flew over.
After leaving Dave we drove up to the 10th Line west of Sideroad 15 in the
direction that the flock of Plovers had flown off to. Here besides the
Plovers there were 2 Baird's Sandpipers.

Later in the afternoon we stopped by the Holland Landing Lagoons and found 5
Stilt Sandpipers, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 5 Pectorals, a couple of Spotties and
about 10 L. Yellowlegs.

Dave Worthington

worth at pathcom.com

Directions;

(As per John Scmelefske)The sod farms are on the north side of the10th
concession about one kilometre west off the 15th sideroad or on the soth
side of the 9th Concession west of 15th. To reach the area go north on HWY
400.  Take the Bond head cut off west and drive to the lights in Bond Head.
Turn north on Hwy 27 and then left at the next lights onto the Beeton road
west.  In about 5 km take the 15th sideroad north to the 10th.  Do not
approach from the other end of the sideroad as the bridge is under
construction and the road is blocked.

(As per Ron Pittaway) The lagoons are 50 km north of Toronto. From 401 take
404 to Green Lane (last exit). Go left (west) on Green Lane to Yonge St.
Turn right and go about 1 km and exit right onto York Rd. 51. Follow winding
road which is Yonge St through Holland Landing for 5.6 km. Turn right on
Cedar St. to the lagoons. Please don't block locked gate or climb it.

Follow opening at left of gate about 15 steps to first orange stake and go
right by large white pine to lagoon road.