[Ontbirds]Long-tailed Jaeger (adult) - VanWagners Beach, Hamilton

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Wed Sep 10 19:13:22 EDT 2008

This afternoon at 5:20 p.m. Barry Cherriere spotted a jaeger getting up off
the water and coming into shore.  As it progressed into shore the extremely
long tail streamers gave away that we had an adult Long-tailed Jaeger on our
hands.  Over the next hour, Barry & Linda Cherriere, Dan Salisbury, Rob
Dobos and I had gripping looks at this magnificent bird.  Several times the
bird chased vigourously after gulls further along the beach just down from
Hutches Restaurant.  The bird also landed on the water several times.
Finally, the bird came straight down the beach at us at which point Barry
took some magnificent photos of this awesome bird.

Earlier in the day a distant Sabine's Gull was seen and a Parasitic Jaeger
made a flypast as well.

East winds tomorrow should be good for bringing in more of these great
birds.

Thanks Barry!
Cheryl Edgecombe
cheryle29 at cogeco.ca

Directions: To reach Van Wagners Beach, take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.
20) exit from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North
Service Rd., turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners Road.
Continue to the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the Lakeland
Centre viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here.  Best conditions
are on easterly winds.