[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (10 Sep 2008) 198 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Sep 11 03:09:40 EDT 2008

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 10, 2008

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0              0
Osprey                       7             48             49
Bald Eagle                   4             36             38
Northern Harrier             9             45             45
Sharp-shinned Hawk         103            423            425
Cooper's Hawk                0              2              2
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           18            227            235
Red-tailed Hawk              0              1              3
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            54            299            315
Merlin                       2             19             19
Peregrine Falcon             1              1              1
Unknown Accipiter            0              7              7
Unknown Buteo                0              1              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0
Mississippi Kite             0              1              1

Total:                     198           1110           1141

Observation start time: 06:15:00
Observation end   time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 8.25 hours

Official Counter:        Colin Horstead

Observers:        Brian Hawthorne, Dave Verkley, Don Taylor,
                  Eleanor Kee-Wellman, Eric Single, Keith Sealy,
                  Mark Cunningham, Ronnie Goodhand, Su Ross-Redmond

Visitors:
More visitors today....Jim Dunn, Gunnar & Vivian Bessel, Connie & Jack
Walker, Dean & Judith Kane.  Thanks to the counters and spotters for
today....Colin, Dave V., Brian H., Eric S., Don T., Keith S., Ronnie G.,
Mark C., Eleanor K-W. Su R-R.

Weather:
A beautiful day today....though tough for spotting birds with little cloud.
Temp seasonal with a high of 21C. Winds started the day light NE but
switched by mid morning to moderate SE (worst wind for a good flight!!).

Raptor Observations:
Given the SE winds today the flight was actually not too bad with 198 birds
total. A good count of Sharpies (103) and Osprey (7). Highlight bird for
today was a large (likely female) adult Peregrine that crossed right over
the counters heads....very nice!

Non-raptor Observations:
Very little passerine movement today. Another Common nighthawk (we've had 1
or 2 every day over the past week or so)...and a small flock of Brant
flying past.

Predictions:
With winds predicted to be NE to start the day...Thursday might see a bit
of a movement...but it's then supposed to go SE....and that usually kills
the flight.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area