[Ontbirds]Brighton Wetland and Lagoon

Rod Lee simkev at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 11 10:39:05 EDT 2008

Hello everyone:  I decided to take a run over to the Brighton Constructed
Wetland this morning.  I think it is time for me to start carrying a camera!

Oscar (Trumpeter Swan) took to the air with two Mute Swans.  Oscar was
making all kinds of noises.  A few minutes later Oscar and one Mute flew
over the Wetland before settling into the sewage lagoon on the north side of
County Road 64.

There are still quite a large number of Redwing Blackbirds, a few Common
Grackle, a Green Heron was busily picking insects (?) off the surface of the
water, Pied-billed Grebes, many Marsh Wren still chatting up a storm,
Chickadees, and the reason I should carry a camera - a Virginia Rail was
standing on the leaf of a cattail near the bank not a metre from me.  It was
not concerned with me at all.  Sandpipers - Stilt, Least, Lesser and Greater
Yellowlegs, Pictorial and Solitary.  A number of Semi-palmated Plovers and
Killdeer at least 1 Short-billed Dowitcher, the Wilson's Snipe, which did
not appreciate when a number of Bonaparte's Gulls decided to fly over and
swoop at the shorebirds before noisily landing.  It was a treat to see a
Sora and a number of immature Moorhen.  There is also quite a few
Green-winged Teal, Mallard, Wood Ducks, a few Canada Geese, a Northern
Shoveller and in the north pong the Mute family.  A few Cowbirds and Song
Sparrows could also be heard.  There was also a Hooded Merganser.

A reminder that Tiny will be open this Saturday, September 13 - 8:00 ~ 10:00
or 10:30am.

Maureen

 Directions:  The Constructed Wetland is located at the SE corner of
Brighton.  From Hwy 401, take the Brighton exit 509 (Hwy. 30) and follow
it south into town.  Go south through the two traffic lights, over
the railway tracks and follow the main road, now called Prince Edward
Street, south.  About 1 km south of the tracks, the main road begins
to swing to the left and becomes Cty. Rd. 64.  As this long turn
ends the Constructed Wetlands appear on the right side.