[Ontbirds] east winds stall migrating raptors along waterfront at Cranberry, Whitby--Sep.11/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Thu Sep 11 16:26:25 EDT 2008

Cranberry Marsh
sw Whitby, Ontario, Canada--south roadside parking area on Hall's Rd.

Thursday, Sep.11/08
Observation  time: 0800-1030 EST
Official Counter:     Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Jim Skene, Dan Kaczynski, Jerry Ball, Jim Munroe, Craig MacLauchlan, Charlie Adey, Karl Jennewein, Rosemary Harris
In addition I enjoyed introducing the watch to 7 new visitors.

In spite of a TUV=400ft./min. the medium East wind and steady BP were not conducive to a flight along the waterfront. There was a flight path that took distant birds from Thickson Pt. northwesterly, straining our eyes for identifying. 2 2nd.yr. BALD EAGLES were among the 28 raptors listed..

Non-raptor Observations: many r-t Hummingbirds, warbling vireo, Wilson's warbler, black-throated Green warbler, marsh wren

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                            Sep.11 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------ --------------          ----------------      -----------------     ------------------
Black Vulture(BV)                       0                  0                      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                     1                  35                    40
Osprey(OS)                                4                 37                   93
Bald Eagle(BE)                           2                 9                     9
Northern Harrier (NH)                  0                  8                     13
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)           18              201                  244
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                   0                6                       11
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                 0                         0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                 1                        1
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)         0                 5                         8
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  1                3                        10
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                 0                          0
Golden Eagle(GE)                      0                 0                        0
American Kestrel (AK)               1               74                       85
Merlin(ML)                                0                 9                        10
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                 0                 1                        2
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                  0                        3
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  0                        1
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                   0                         1
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                   0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                1                  9                         11

Total:                                      28               398                     542