[Ontbirds]Brighton Wetland and Lagoon

Rod Lee simkev at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 13 13:06:56 EDT 2008

Hello everyone: This report comes on behalf of Keith Lee (Tiny).  Yet
another wonderful morning at the Brighton Constructed Wetland!  We had our
first Australian visitors today.

The little Marsh Wrens is still around giving us a view of them doing the
splits while perching between cattails and continuing to singing their
cheery notes.  Oscar (Trumpeter Swan) flew from the Wetland to the sewage
lagoon on the north side of County Road 64.  An unbelievable number of
Redwing Blackbirds are in the cattails.  They were taking to the air in the
hundreds.

There are still many Moorhens (adult and immature).  Other birds of note
were: Wilson's Snipe (Maureen Riggs), Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Stilt
Sandpiper, Green-wing Teals, Mallard, Short-billed Dowitcher, Least
Sandpipers, Killdeer, the beautiful Sora, Mourning Doves, a few Canada
Geese,  Northern Flicker, Blue Jays, Wood Ducks, White-breasted Nuthatch,
Virginia Rail (heard by Rod Lee), Swamp Sparrow and Belted Kingfisher (Tiny
Lee).     A couple of weeks ago Maureen Riggs and I had a discussion about
the possibility of American Black Duck ducklings in the Wetland.  I had seen
some ducklings (no adult around) that were considerably darker than the
young Mallard ducklings.  This morning I saw, what had to be, the most
beautiful American Black Duck to date.  It still had a few quill like
feathers otherwise it was turning into a magnificent adult.  This lovely
specimen was located at the west end of the north pond.  This was the first
time I had ventured in that area.  There was also some very fine Wood Ducks
and many, many young and adult Moorhen.   {We did a quicke visit to Owen
Point in Presqu'ile Park and saw an American Water Pipit. Black Bellied
Plovers, Sanderlings, Semi-Palmated Plovers, and the Great Egret flew over.}

A reminder that Tiny will be at the Wetland next Sunday, September 21, 2008
between 2:00 and 4:00pm.  Thank you Tiny!

Maureen Campeau

Directions:  The Constructed Wetland is located at the SE corner of
Brighton.  From Hwy 401, take the Brighton exit 509 (Hwy. 30) and follow
it south into town.  Go south through the two traffic lights, over
the railway tracks and follow the main road, now called Prince Edward
Street, south.  About 1 km south of the tracks, the main road begins
to swing to the left and becomes Cty. Rd. 64.  As this long turn
ends the Constructed Wetlands appear on the right side.