[Ontbirds]Snow Geese & sandpipers - Durham

Geoff - Birds avocet at rogers.com
Sat Sep 13 14:54:15 EDT 2008

Peter Hogenbirk, Terrie Smith and I birded Durham looking for shorebirds today. Lots of folks out looking for sandpipers at the Durham sod farms ... no Buff-breasted seen as far as I know but hundreds of Killdeer, 5-10 golden plovers, 3-5 black-bellied, 7-10 snipe, 1 semi-palmated plover and 3-5 pectoral sandpipers were found ... most were at Solina Rd. fields but several were at Green's Road sod farms south of Taunton.

Also had 2 adult Snow Geese at a small pond/gravel pit on Maplegrove Road.

Directions:

from 401 exit at Courtice Rd. and go north to Taunton ... then east to Solina and south 1/2 km. to sod farms ... back to Taunton continue east and then south on Green Road (about 2 km ???) to the fields on your right .. finally, backtrack on Taunton to Maplegrove and go south until you almost reach Nash Rd (0.4 km north of it) and the geese were on your left. Don't worry it says the road is a deadend but really it isn't ... the first 2-3 kms. are rough and may be muddy .. if in doubt, you can come at it from the south off Nash Rd.

Geoff Carpentier
Ajax, Ont