[Ontbirds]Virginia rail, few raptors at Cranberry--Sep.14/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sun Sep 14 15:39:23 EDT 2008

For various reasons I had very few observers to help me at the platform on this Sunday morning of Sep.14. Indeed, the anticipated rains did not arrive, and I had 15 visitors to keep me alert. It was wonderful to have 4 counters from the High Park RW for 30 minutes. Indeed, their arrival brought in our only 2 migrating hawks--2 Sharp-shinneds.

A calling VIRGINIA RAIL was very close to the platform at 0930EST.

Cranberry Marsh
sw Whitby, Ontario, Canada--south roadside parking area on Hall's Rd.

Sunday, Sep.14/08
Observation  time: 0800-1100 EST
Official Counter:     Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Rosemary Harris, Paul McGee, Carol Horner, Don Barnett

The weather---TUV=1, 25C, very muggy, medium SW winds, falling bp

Non-raptor Observations: many r-t Hummingbirds, warbling vireo, Wilson's warbler, black-throated Green warbler, marsh wren, magnolia warbler, c.yellowthroat, least flycatcher, eastern wood pewee, white-breasted nuthatch.
Monarchs were going through at a rate of 60/hr., as were Dragonflies.

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                            Sep.14 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------ --------------          ----------------      -----------------     ------------------
Black Vulture(BV)                       0                  0                      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                     0                  35                    40
Osprey(OS)                                0                 38                   94
Bald Eagle(BE)                          0                 9                     9
Northern Harrier (NH)                  0                  8                     13
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)           2              204                  247
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                   0                6                       11
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                 0                         0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                 1                        1
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)         0                 5                         8
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  0                3                        10
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                 0                          0
Golden Eagle(GE)                      0                 0                        0
American Kestrel (AK)               0               75                       86
Merlin(ML)                                0                 9                        10
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                 0                 1                        2
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                  0                        3
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  0                        1
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                   0                         1
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                   0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                  9                         11

Total:                                      2               403                     547