[Ontbirds]SNOW GEESE, 1600+ MIGRATNG HAWKS-CRANBERRY-SEP.15/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Mon Sep 15 17:08:08 EDT 2008

It was wonderful to have 25+ pairs of eyes to help with a great count today at Cranberry in sw Whitby, Ontario--south roadside parking area on Hall's Rd.
Thank you toi everybody who helped.

To have perfect NW winds and a rising BP was superb---Broad-winged Hawks started kettling through en masse starting around 1020EST; they came through on 3 fronts. We also had 6 Bald Eagles (1 full adult)

Monday, Sep.15/08
Observation  time: 0800-1500 EST
Official Counter:     Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Geoff Carpentier, Tyler Hoar, Jerry Ball, FRED HELLEINER, Jim Munroe, Marty Allenson, Jim Skene, Jim McKnight, Ron Stephenson,Rosemary Harris, Carol Horner, John Nishikawa and many more.

The weather---TUV=1, 17C, strong/medium NW winds, rising bp

Non-raptor Observations: many r-t Hummingbirds, warbling vireo, Wilson's warbler, black-throated Green warbler, marsh wren, magnolia warbler, c.yellowthroat, least flycatcher, Wilson's snipe, blue-gray gnatcatcher, 5 American pipits, white-breasted nuthatch, 100+ migrating Common Loons
and 2 Snow Geese (THEY SETTLED INTO LYNDE MARSH)

THOUSANDS OF Monarchs AND Dragonflies

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                            Sep.15 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------ --------------          ----------------      -----------------     ------------------
Black Vulture(BV)                       0                  0                      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                     21                  56                    61
Osprey(OS)                                7                 45                   101
Bald Eagle(BE)                          6                 15                     15
Northern Harrier (NH)                  5                  13                     18
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)           150              354                  397
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                   4                10                       15
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                 0                         0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        1                 2                        2
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)         1356             1364                 1372
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  2                5                        12
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                 0                          0
Golden Eagle(GE)                      0                 0                        0
American Kestrel (AK)               72               146                       158
Merlin(ML)                                2                 11                        12
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                 1                 2                        3
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                  0                        3
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  0                        1
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                   0                         1
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                   0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                1                  10                         12

Total:                                      1628            2031                   2175