[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (14 Sep 2008) 38 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Mon Sep 15 20:09:08 EDT 2008

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 14, 2008

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0              0
Osprey                      15             73             74
Bald Eagle                   3             39             41
Northern Harrier             2             51             51
Sharp-shinned Hawk           6            606            608
Cooper's Hawk                0              2              2
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            0            231            239
Red-tailed Hawk              0              1              3
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            10            343            359
Merlin                       1             26             26
Peregrine Falcon             1              2              2
Unknown Accipiter            0              7              7
Unknown Buteo                0              1              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0
Mississippi Kite             0              1              1

Total:                      38           1383           1414

Observation start time: 06:30:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter:        Colin Horstead

Observers:        Ches Caister, Dave Brown, Dave W, Derek Lyon, Jason McGuire,
                  Jennifer Lyon, Jim Dunn, Keith Sealy, Mark Cunningham,
                  Tom Bolohan, Tony

Visitors:
Quite a few visitors for the day...again outnumbering the birds!

Weather:
After predictions of heavy rain it was a pleasant  surprise that we ended
up with a sunny but VERY humid day. Winds were moderate from the SW for
most of the day...switching to SE for the last couple of hours. Lots of
cloud around for the day as well.

Raptor Observations:
A fairly small flight today with just 38 birds...with the highlight being a
Peregrine (no surprise on the nice SW winds up the cliff). Osprey (15) come
by fairly steadily with 2 or 3 each hour.

Non-raptor Observations:
Even the passerine fligth was slow today with very few flocks on
move...mostly Goldfinch.  The dragonflies were everywhere out in front of
the count site.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area