[Ontbirds]BLUE-MORPH SNOW GOOSE, 421 MIGRATING HAWKS--CRANBERRY, WHITBY--SEP.16/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Tue Sep 16 14:51:14 EDT 2008

Tuesday, Sep.16/08
Observation  time: 0800-1200 EST
Official Counter:     Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Jim Munroe, Marty Allinson, Jim Skene, Rosemary Harris, Carol Horner, John Nishikawa, Donna Foster, Joyce-Collier-Brown, Ross Lamb, Paul McGee, Charles Adey  and many more.
A big thank you to everyone, particularly after I experienced a tumble onto my head!! -it was that exciting!!

The weather---TUV=2, 15C, medium NW winds changing to SW, rising bp

Non-raptor Observations: many r-t Hummingbirds, red-eyed vireo, Wilson's warbler, black-throated Green warbler, magnolia warbler, c.yellowthroat, palm warbler, Am. redstart, yellow-rumped w., BROWN THRASDHER, white-breasted nuthatch, red-breasted nuthatch.
A BLUE-MORPH SNOW GOOSE flew notherly over the wetland with 6 Canadas.

To some extent we had a continuation of yesterday for 2-3 hours, what with many distant Broad-winged Hawks--a total of 421 migrating hawks came through.
THOUSANDS OF Monarchs AND Dragonflies migrating.

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                            Sep.16 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------ --------------          ----------------      -----------------     ------------------
Black Vulture(BV)                       0                  0                      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                     10                  66                    71
Osprey(OS)                                6                 51                   107
Bald Eagle(BE)                          1                 16                     16
Northern Harrier (NH)                  3                  16                     21
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)           87              441                  484
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                   3                13                       18
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                 0                         0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        1                 2                        2
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)         294             1655                 1658
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  1                6                        13
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                 0                          0
Golden Eagle(GE)                      0                 0                        0
American Kestrel (AK)               13               159                       171
Merlin(ML)                                0                 11                        12
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                 0                 2                        3
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                  0                        3
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  1                  1                        2
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                   0                         1
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                   0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                2                  12                         14

Total:                                      421           2452                   2596