[Ontbirds]hooded merganser , many songbirds, few migrating hawks-Cranberry-Sep.17/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Wed Sep 17 19:42:30 EDT 2008

Wednesday, Sep.17/08
Observation  time: 0800-1400 EST
Official Counter:     Geoff Carpentier
Observers:   Jim Skene, Rosemary Harris, Paul McGee, Ron Stephenson and others
A big thank you to Geoff.

I do need help next Wednesday and Thursday

The weather---TUV=3, 15C, light Wwinds, falling bp

Non-raptor Observations: many r-t Hummingbirds, Philadelphia vireo, Wilson's warbler, black-throated Green warbler, magnolia warbler, c.yellowthroat, palm warbler, Am. redstart; brown thrasher, n.flicker, white-breasted nuthatch, red-breasted nuthatch, etc.
.
2 SNOW GEESE flew notherly over the wetland .

Migrating hawks were few and far between. (see table below)

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                            Sep.17 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------ --------------          ----------------      -----------------     ------------------
Black Vulture(BV)                       0                  0                      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                     9                  76                  80
Osprey(OS)                                3                 54                   110
Bald Eagle(BE)                          0                 16                     16
Northern Harrier (NH)                  0                  16                     21
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)           9              450                  493
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                   1                14                       19
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                 0                         0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                 2                        2
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)         0             1655                 1658
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  0                6                        13
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                 0                          0
Golden Eagle(GE)                      0                 0                        0
American Kestrel (AK)               63               169                       174
Merlin(ML)                               1                 12                        13
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                 0                 2                        3
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                  0                        3
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  1                        2
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                   0                         1
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                   0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                  12                         14

Total:                                      29           2481                   2625