[Ontbirds] WHITE-THROATED SPARROW ON A VERY STILL MORN ATCRANBERRY-SEP.20/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Sep 20 16:20:47 EDT 2008

Saturday, Sep.20/08
Observation  time: 0800-1200 EST
Official Counter:     Doug Lockrey
Observers:   Jim Skene, Greg Stuart, Jody Melanson, Karin & Jerry Chouinard, Bob Brown and others, along with 20+ visitors

The weather---TUV=2, 17C, light-medium SWwinds, falling bp,  sunny

Birds were few and far between. Two raptors put on shows!!--a low-flying PEREGRINE FALCON approached our poled owl and continued on. A Sharp-shinned surprised us as he literally lifted out of the cattails in front of us, carrying what appeared to be a small bird in his talons. Weather conditions told us that therte would be very few migrating raptors-- indeed, the table below backs that up.

Non-raptors- 2 WHITE-THROATED SARROWS, brown thrasher, n.flicker, white-breasted nuthatch, red-breasted nuthatch, lesser yellowlegs, ruby-crowned kinglet, killdeer, marsh wren, c.yellowthroat, yellow-rumped warbler

Many Saddlebags

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                            Sep.20 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------ --------------          ----------------      -----------------     ------------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                  0                      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                     1              132                   137
Osprey(OS)                                2                 66                   122
Bald Eagle(BE)                          0                 26                     26
Northern Harrier (NH)                  1               25                     30
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)           9              523                  566
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                   1                18                       23
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                 0                         0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                 2                        2
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)         0             2005                 2008
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                 0               17                        24
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                 0                          0
Golden Eagle(GE)                      0                 0                        0
American Kestrel (AK)               2             200                     211
Merlin(ML)                               0                 14                        15
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                 1                 3                        4
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                  0                        3
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  1                        2
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                   1                         2
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                   0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                  14                         16

TOTAL                                      17          2522                   3191
Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW, Whitby, ON

ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization.