[Ontbirds]boreal owls Hilliardton marsh

The Murphy's birdboy at ntl.sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 8 17:55:27 EDT 2008

Greetings birders thought I would pass this along.  Three boreal owls have
been banded at the Hilliardton marsh. Banders have noted that boreals seem
to be on a 4 year cycle and this is year 4. It was caught while we were
trying to band sawwhets and they were attracted to a sawwhet tape not a
boreal tape as some stations use specifically Tadoussac Quebec. Thought this
might be of interest. Hopefully the boreals irrupt into the south and
provide lots of sightings of this elusive owl. Just to reinforce what I said
earlier it has been four years since we have banded any and in 2004 we
banded 11.  In 2000 we banded only 1 but we have not banded any in any year
beside this four year interval. Thought this would be of interest. From the
Hilliardton marsh located 500 km north of Toronto  and 20 minutes from the
town of NewLiskeard which is nestled along the north shore of Lake
Timiskaming. Happy boreal searching. Bruce murphy

Checked by AVG.
7:01 AM