[Ontbirds] MANY MONARCHS, FEW RAPTORS, harrier vs. peregrine-Oct.9,10/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Fri Oct 10 14:31:37 EDT 2008

IF YOU CAN SPARE AN HOUR OR TWO ON SATURDAY MORNING AT CMRW, I would appreciate it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL.

After 6 consecutive days of NW winds and rising BP bringing a total of  2199 migrating raptors the past 4 days have been slow.

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Fri. Oct.10/08
Observation  time: 0800-1100EST
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey

Official Counters: Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Jim Skene,  Paul McGee, Rosemary Harris, Alf Lisk, Jim Fairchild, Jim Munroe
We had a 20 minute visit from 10+ day-care workers with well-behaved young folk.

The weather---light NW, then SE winds; rising, then steady BP; 13C; TUV=2.

We were entertained by a resident N.HARRIER harassing our "temporarily resident" immature PEREGRINE FALCON in the southeast corner of the wetland.

Non-raptors- Cedar Waxwing, male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, c. yellowthroat, many yellow-rumped warblers, house finches, hermit thrush, marsh wren.

At least 50 Monarchs flew through.

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                             Oct.10 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------       -------------          -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0                        0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                    3                 1677                    1942
Osprey(OS)                               0                     1                    147
Bald Eagle(BE)                          0                   13                     56
Northern Harrier (NH)                 0                    16                     64
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)          14                  275                   1284
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                  1                    27                      84
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                     0                       0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)         0                     1                        3
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                    0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  3                   60                      101
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)           0                      0                        0
Golden Eagle(GE)                       0                   0                       0
American Kestrel (AK)                2                173                    663
Merlin(ML)                                 0                   4                       23
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                0                   4                       14
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                    5                        8
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  1                        3
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                  1                         3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                    0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                 0                    5                       35
TOTAL                                    23              2263                  6468
Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON

ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization.