[Ontbirds]50+ Black Scoters in Fort Erie

Marcia Jacklin mjacklin at brocku.ca
Sun Oct 26 14:42:04 EDT 2008

Hi

On Saturday Tim Seburn I saw more than 50 Black Scoters close to the Fort in Fort Erie. This is where Lake Erie flows into the Niagara River. We had a large number of Black Scoters around this time last year too. In addition there were 6 White-winged Scoters and Tim spotted 1 Surf Scoter. Also several small rafts of Long-tailed Ducks and Buffleheads.

Further west at the end of Kraft Road we saw about 20 Gadwall; 12 American Wigeon and 1 Scoter sp.

Today Sunday Rick Stockton and I counted at least 55 Black Scoter.

Good birding
Marcie Jacklin
Fort Erie

Directions: QEW to Fort Erie, exit at Central Avenue, turn right on Central; right on Lakeshore, drive about 2 km to Adelaide St and use the viewing area.
ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization.