[Ontbirds]Avocet-Ajax waterfront; 24 hawks-Cranberry-Nov.17

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Mon Nov 17 13:13:48 EST 2008

An Avocet (I believe it to be a female) is readily seen from the pedestrian bridge crossing Duffin's Creek, at the lakefront. Drive south down Westney Rd., through Bayly, then 1km.further to Lakeview Drive, west along a curving road 'til you get to ROTARY PARK on your right--drive in, park your car, then walk down to the lakefront, turning west to the long pedestrian bridge--the bird has been south of the west end of the bridge.

A rising BP and a medium NW wind, along with good thermals, suggested a reasonable raptor flight at Cranberry along the lakefront; this held trtue for 1 hour only--then the wind died down, as did the hawk flight. A great crew of observers noted 18 between 10 and 11am--SEE TABLE BELOW.

Highlight non-raptors--35 white-winged crossbills at the roadside; 2 tagghed trumpeter swans.

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Mon.Nov.17/108
Observation  time: 0900-1200
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter:Observers: Jim McKnight, Dan Kaczynski, Jim Fairchild, Ron Stephenson, Ron Pittaway, Jim Munroe, Joyce Collier-Brown, Karl Jennewein,

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                         Nov.17 Count        Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------         -------------       -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0                        0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   0                       1                   3205
Osprey(OS)                             0                      0                     149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       0                       0                        67
Northern Harrier (NH)               1                       5                       99
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)      2                      31                    14902
Cooper's Hawk (CH)               0                       9                      116
Northern Goshawk (NG)           0                       2                        7
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                    14                       24
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                   2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)               12                     261                  1134
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)        3                        17                      43
Golden Eagle(GE)                    0                      1                        9
American Kestrel (AK)              0                      1                    700
Merlin(ML)                               0                     2                      29
Peregrine Falcon (PG)             0                     1                      19
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            0                     1                       19
Unknown Buteo (UB)                0                    13                     20
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     0                        3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                    0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                    3                        43
TOTAL                                   18                  362                   9219

Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON