[Ontbirds] CATBIRD, SHRIKE, WILD TURKEYS; 8 raptors-Cranberry-Nov.19/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Wed Nov 19 13:44:15 EST 2008

Very cold---0C---, but N (then SE) wind was light; falling BP; these factors did not suggest a significant migration of raptors, IN SPITE OF EXCELLENT THERMALS..---SEE TABLE BELOW.

Highlight non-raptors-- GREY CATBIRD called out for a few minutes near the platform; a Northern Shrike swept down at a white-breasted Nuthatch in the alder beside the platform--unsuccessful. 3 WILD TURKEYS (unseen for 2+ months) were along Hall's Rd. to the north. If you have not seen the AVOCET at the waterfront in Ajax, ask me to show you a superb photo taken by Herb Parke.

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Tues.Nov.19/108
Observation  time: 0900-1300
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter:Geoff Carpentier
Observers: Jim Fairchild, Charlie Adey, Karl Jennewein, Doug Lockrey, Dan Kaczynski, Jim Skene
>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                         Nov.19 Count        Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------         -------------       -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0                        0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   0                       1                   3205
Osprey(OS)                             0                      0                     149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       0                       0                        67
Northern Harrier (NH)               0                       5                       99
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)      2                      38                    1499
Cooper's Hawk (CH)               1                       11                      118
Northern Goshawk (NG)           0                       2                        7
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                    14                       24
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                   2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                3                     309                  1182
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          1                      15                      41
Golden Eagle(GE)                    0                      1                        9
American Kestrel (AK)              0                      1                    700
Merlin(ML)                               0                     2                      29
Peregrine Falcon (PG)             1                     3                      21
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            0                     1                       19
Unknown Buteo (UB)                0                    13                     20
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     0                        3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                    0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                    3                        43