[Ontbirds] wild turkeys, pipits, rusty blackbirds, CROSSBILLS,13 migrating raptors-Cranberry-Nov.22/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Nov 22 16:20:32 EST 2008

A sunny morning with light N wind, -4C and a TUV=2 suggested a "few" kettling hawks--sure enough, we did have some distant raptors circling on the thermals, taking quite some time to work their way across---SEE TABLE BELOW.

AMONG THE NON-RAPTORS--- 4 WILD TURKEYS in the corn field east of Hall's Rd.; 40 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS were briefly seen alongside the roadway;
6 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS fed on the path near the platform all morning; 12 AMERICAN PIPITS were heard flying over; HOUSE FINCHES.

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Sat.Nov.22/108
Observation  time: 0900-1300
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter:Rayfield Pye
Observers: Jim Skene, Doug Lockrey, Frank Oland, Karl Jennewein, Norm Schipper

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                         Nov.22 Count        Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------         -------------       -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0                        0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   0                       1                   3205
Osprey(OS)                             0                      0                      149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       0                       0                        67
Northern Harrier (NH)               0                       5                       99
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)      2                        41                    1501
Cooper's Hawk (CH)               1                       12                      119
Northern Goshawk (NG)           0                       2                         7
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                     14                       24
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                8                    325                   1198
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          1                     18                       44
Golden Eagle(GE)                    0                      1                         9
American Kestrel (AK)              0                      1                     700
Merlin(ML)                               0                      2                       29
Peregrine Falcon (PG)             0                       3                       21
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            0                      1                       19
Unknown Buteo (UB)                1                    14                        21
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     0                         3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                     0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                      3                       43
TOTAL                                   13                  453                    9310
Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON

ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization.