[Ontbirds]HSR: Holiday Beach (22 Nov 2008) 88 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sat Nov 22 17:11:53 EST 2008

Holiday Beach
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 22, 2008

Turkey Vulture               3            708          21180
Osprey                       0              0             48
Bald Eagle                   0             12             98
Northern Harrier             4             80            253
Sharp-shinned Hawk           1             99           3529
Cooper's Hawk                5             63            212
Northern Goshawk             1              3              6
Red-shouldered Hawk          1            173            269
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0           8953
Red-tailed Hawk             71           1349           2200
Rough-legged Hawk            2             19             22
Golden Eagle                 0             84            128
American Kestrel             0              5            596
Merlin                       0              3             36
Peregrine Falcon             0              2             30
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              4              9
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              1

Total:                      88           2604          37570

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter:        Todd Pepper

Observers:        Jim McCoy, Rene Kielbasa

Weather:
Mostly sunny, -2 to 0C, fairly stong winds out of W or WNW.

Raptor Observations:
Mostly Redtails well off to the the north and flying north-westerly. A
Juvenile Northern Goshawk flew between my truck and the tower, maybe 3
metres off the ground, as I was pulling on my wind pants after first
arriving this morning.

Non-raptor Observations:
During the first couple hours there were many small flocks of Am. Goldfinch
& Pine Sisken, a couple Northern Flickers, one flock of 7 Tundra Swan later
in the day.

Predictions:
Cloudy skies. High 1C. Winds SW at 12 to 20 km/hr.