[Ontbirds]Black-throated Gray Warbler-Rondeau Park

Blake A. Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sun Nov 23 14:24:27 EST 2008

Hi all,
A little more info on the Black-throated Gray Warbler at Rondeau.  Thanks to
Irene Woods for getting a word out at time of our sighting.
About 09:30 this morning, Jim Burk and I were surprised to find a
Black-throated Gray Warbler feeding in Red Cedars just outside the Rondeau
campground boundary just inside the park gate.
It was frequenting the intersection of Centre and Bowman Streets in the
cottage section.  It moved from tree to tree, exclusively in Red Cedars or
White Pines.
It has a chip note vaguely similar to a Yellow-rumped Warbler.  I heard this
long before we saw the bird, but I did not realize what it was!
Yellow-rumps are commonly in this area in the winter so that is what I
thought it was.  There were no Yellow-rumps here this morning.
The bird will likely stay in the area.  There is a great feeder setup at the
end of this street near the park gate.
This will be a new record for the Rondeau birding area!  Photos were
obtained.

Directions:  Rondeau Park is off H#3 via Kent Rd. #15.
Go into the park, and immediately turn left before the
campground. The road curves around to the intersection of Bowman
& Centre St. Check Red Cedars in this area.  Park gate fee applies.

Blake A. Mann
Wallaceburg
Chatham-Kent, Ontario
boatmannATkentDOTnet