[Ontbirds]Ajax AVOCET;BLACKBIRDS, NORTHERN GOSHAWK

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sun Nov 23 15:33:28 EST 2008

The AVOCET was still "there" today, Nov.23---once on the pedestrian bridge, people today found it either towards the lakefront in the lagoon OR to the north up-river. Please refer to my Nov.22 e-mail for directions.

A cloudy morning with light W wind, -4C to 4C, and a TUV=2.5, but a falling BP was not a good sign for migrating raptors along the lakefront. However, a low-flying immature NORTHERN GOSHAWK in the 11 o'clock hour was great. The watch always has the usual camaraderie amongst observers, in spite of few migrants--only 2 other raptors (Red-taileds) came through.---SEE TABLE BELOW.

AMONG THE NON-RAPTORS--- 4 WILD TURKEYS in the corn field east of Hall's Rd.; 20+ WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS were briefly seen alongside the roadway;
6 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS fed on the path near the platform all morning; AMERICAN PIPITS were heard flying over; female PURPLE FINCH; white-throated sparrow.

Perched in trees alongside Hall's Rd. --Am.Kestrel, Cooper's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Sun.Nov.23/108
Observation  time: 0900-1500
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter:Rayfield Pye
Observers: Jim McKnight, Doug Lockrey, Karl Jennewein, Ron Stephenson, Brian Steele, Jean Iron, Ron Pittaway, Eleanor Beagan

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                         Nov.23 Count        Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------         -------------       -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0                        0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   0                       1                   3205
Osprey(OS)                             0                      0                      149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       0                       0                        67
Northern Harrier (NH)               0                       5                       99
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)      0                        41                    1501
Cooper's Hawk (CH)               0                       12                      119
Northern Goshawk (NG)           1                       3                         8
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                     14                       24
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                2                    327                   1200
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                     18                       44
Golden Eagle(GE)                    0                      1                         9
American Kestrel (AK)              0                      1                     700
Merlin(ML)                               0                      3                       30
Peregrine Falcon (PG)             0                       3                       21
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            0                      1                       19
Unknown Buteo (UB)                0                    14                        21
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     0                         3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                     0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                      3                       43