[Ontbirds]YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, 5 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS; 5 MIGRATING RAPTORS--CRANBERRY, SW WHITBY-NOV.24/08

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Mon Nov 24 15:18:33 EST 2008

The AVOCET was still in Ajax today, Nov.24---once on the pedestrian bridge, people this AM found it in the water to the north up-river. Please refer to my Nov.22 e-mail for directions.

A cloudy mild morning with light S wind, 2C to 8C, and a TUV=2. A falling BP was not a good sign for migrating raptors along the lakefront. My team of 8 tremendous observers did everything in its power to bring in raptors!!!!!-- our camaraderie, which is bar none, held our hopes high, but only 4 raptors were noted.---SEE TABLE BELOW.

AMONG THE NON-RAPTORS--- 4 WILD TURKEYS in the corn field east of Hall's Rd.; YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER seen in a roadside tree; 5 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS (one of which is a young one that has dark eyes) on the path near the platform all morning; female PURPLE FINCH; white-throated sparrow.

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Mon.Nov.24/108
Observation  time: 0900-1200
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter:Jim McKnight
Observers: Doug Lockrey, Karl Jennewein, Ron Stephenson, Jim Munroe, Charlie Adey, Jim Fairchild, John Stirrat

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                         Nov.24 Count        Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------         -------------       -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0                        0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   0                       1                   3205
Osprey(OS)                             0                      0                      149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       0                       0                        67
Northern Harrier (NH)               0                       5                       99
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)      1                        42                    1502
Cooper's Hawk (CH)               0                       12                      119
Northern Goshawk (NG)          0                       3                         8
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                     14                       24
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                1                    328                   1201
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)         1                     19                       45
Golden Eagle(GE)                    0                      1                         9
American Kestrel (AK)              0                      1                     700
Merlin(ML)                               0                      3                       30
Peregrine Falcon (PG)             0                       3                       21
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            1                      2                       20
Unknown Buteo (UB)                0                    14                        21
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     0                         3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                     0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                      3                       43