[Ontbirds]Goshawk, Lapland Longspurs west of Ottawa

PETER HALL halljp at rogers.com
Thu Nov 27 08:35:02 EST 2008

Hi Ontbirders:

Yesterday afternoon (November 26) Jeff Harrison and I visited several good birding areas west of Ottawa. At the Jack Pine Trail birdfeeder on Moodie Drive, we observed closely a male adult Goshawk that was lying in wait for the large number of  Blue Jays, cardinals, woodpeckers, etc. coming to the main feeder.

We also spent some time driving the back roads in the open agricultural areas. There were hundreds of Snow Buntings in different-sized flocks in the area. The largest concentration was at the corners of Eagleson and Brownlee Roads where, among the the buntings, there were four Lapland Longspurs and a dozen or so Horned Larks.

Good birding

Peter Hall

Directions to Jack Pine Trail from Neily World Birding : From Highway 416 take exit 72 (West Hunt Club Road). If southbound, a 0.4 km offramp dumps onto West Hunt Club Road, where you will turn right or southwest. If northbound, the 0.2 km offramp brings you to Cedarview Road, where you will turn right or SSE onto it and in 0.2 km come to West Hunt Club Road. Turn right or southwest onto it and in 0.4 km join the southbound traffic. Both groups will now follow West Hunt Club southwest for an additional 2.1 km to reach Moodie Drive. Turn left or SSE onto it and drive 1.4 km to reach a parking area on the left for the Jack Pine Trail.

Directions to Eagleson-Brownlee Roads from Neily World Birding: From Highway 416 take exit 66 (Fallowfield Road). If southbound, a 0.4 km offramp dumps onto Fallowfield, where you will turn right or west. If northbound, the 0.4 km offramp brings you to Fallowfield, where you will turn left or west onto it and in 0.5 km join the southbound offramp traffic. Both groups will now follow Fallowfield Road west 7.0 km from here, passing Moodie Drive, Richmond Road and turning right on Eagleson Road for two concessions to Brownlee Road.