[Ontbirds] King Eider Cobourg Jan.11

M. Bain mjcbain at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 11 16:46:39 EST 2009

About 11am today, Sunday January 11, during the MidWinter Waterfowl
Inventory, Elizabeth Kellogg and I found a first-winter male King Eider off
Coverdale Park, east of Cobourg harbour. It was very close to shore but
slowly travelling east. It was seen by several birders later in the day, the
latest report being about 2.30pm off GE Plastics at the foot of Normar Road
at the eastern edge of town. When we first saw it, it was by itself, but
later was associating with small flocks of goldeneye.

Directions:
Go south off Hwy.401 at Division Street, Cobourg, Exit 474, to King Street
and turn east on King, which here is Hwy.2. Coverdale Park is at the foot of
Coverdale Av., slightly less than 3km east of Division. Normar Road is a
further 2km east of Coverdale.

Margaret Bain
Cobourg
mjcbain at sympatico.ca