[Ontbirds] WHITE WINGED CROSSBILLS AND NORTHERN SHRIKE

Dave Lord davelo at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 11 18:51:40 EST 2009

There has been a flock of about a dozen White-winged Crossbills in the
Cathedral Pines area of Horseshoe Valley over the past two weeks. Last seen
yesterday about noon. Best located by their melodic call notes as they feed
in the Red Pines and Norway Spruces that frequent the area.

There is also a Northern Shrike which I saw, for the first time, yesterday.
(The neighbours have told me that it has been raiding the feeders for some
time)

It was in the top of a spruce tree on the south side of Pine Lane, one of
the two short streets off Cathedral Pines.

To reach Cathedral Pines take the Horseshoe Valley road;- second exit beyond
Barrie, on Highway 400 head east to Horseshoe Valley. Pass the resort which
is on your right, continue to the top of the hill, and turn left into the
Cathedral Pines area which consists of a one mile loop road in a residential
area.

Beware. The roads can be treacherous here this time of year!

birding organization.
For instructions to join or leave ONTBIRDS visit
http://www.ofo.ca/information/ontbirdssetup.php
ONTBIRDS Guidelines may be viewed at
http://www.ofo.ca/information/ontbirdsguide.php
birding organization.