[Ontbirds] Red Crossbills - Flinton

Bruce Ripley ripley at kingston.net
Mon Jan 26 16:00:24 EST 2009

    On my way home from Muskoka I drove along Old Flinton Road which runs from the town of Flinton south to highway 7.  At 1:00p.m. I found a flock of 15 RED CROSSBILLS about 1km. south of the town and one more RED CROSSBILL further along the road.  There were also 2 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS with the flock of fifteen.  COMMON REDPOLLS, AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, PINE SISKINS and COMMON RAVENS were also seen along Old Flinton Road.

Cheers
Bruce Ripley

Take highway 41 north from highway 401 at Napanee.  Travel north on 41 until you reach Kaladar.  Continue on 41 for another 8km. until you see the west turnoff for Flinton.  There are a few good feeders in the town.  Go south from Flinton and look for Old Flinton Road (not Flinton Road).  There are vast pine plantations along this road and the region has always been a good place for Red Crossbills.