[Ontbirds] Owls and others in Dunrobin Area

Marc St. Onge stongey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:18:59 EST 2009

Went back to the Dunrobin area today (Sunday, Feb 1) to look for owls.

There was a small flock of Pine Grosbeaks at the Duck Club feeder on
March Valley Road, including at least one orange coloured "russet"
bird.

If got two Great Gray Owls. The first was pointed out to me by another
birder in a tall willow near Greenland and Vance's Roads (search for
"45.455886,-76.015247" on Google Maps). The second, I found in
Torbolton Woods just off of the snowmobile trail
(45.495879,-76.08411). I was able to get quite close and observe it.
At one point it was being harassed by a loud group of Chickadees and
White- and Red-breasted Nuthatches. I watched for about 30 minutes
before heading off to find what sounded to me like a Saw-Whet owl, but
it stopped calling, so no luck.

On the way home, I saw a Rough-Legged Hawk in a tree off Constance Bay Road.

More fun than the Super Bowl... I saw a Superb Owl. (That was the
worst pun I've ever made.)

Marc