[Ontbirds] Etobicoke, Hamiton & Niagara Birds - Feb 11th

Geoff - Birds avocet at rogers.com
Wed Feb 11 17:17:46 EST 2009

Peter Hogenbirk, Terrie Smith and I went to Hamilton and then did parts of Niagara & Toronto today .. wet and foggy conditions made it a bit challenging ...

Highlights:

7 Iceland Gulls - Adam Beck - all immatures
1 Kumlien's Gull - Adam Beck - adult
4 Glaucous Gulls - Adam Beck - 1 adult, 3 immatures
Red-shouldered Hawk (adult) - Chippewa
Tufted Titmouse - Chippewa
27 Ring-necked Ducks, 100+ Ruddy Ducks, 26 DC Cormorants, 3 GW Teal - Red Hill Creek, Hamilton
King Eider - Colonel Sam Park
Northern Shrike - NOTL
Black-crowned Night-heron - 3 adults on Don River at Queen St and DVP, Toronto

and for those that track these things ... first songsters of the spring (for me):

Copper's Hawk - male displaying and calling - Feb 7th - female nearby - Ajax (my yard)
Northern Shrike - singing Feb 11th - NOTL
American Robin - singing males (several) Feb 11th - Adam Beck
House Finch - singing male - Feb 8th - Ajax
Northern Cardinal - singing male - Feb 5th - Ajax

Directions for King Eider:

Colonel Samuel Smith Park is located at the end of Kipling Ave. in the west end
of Toronto. From the QEW take Kipling Ave. south and continue past Lakeshore
Blvd. past Humber College to the large parking area at it's very end closest to
the lake. Walk east (left facing the lake) until you come to the most easterly
bay.

Geoff Carpentier, Ajax, Ontario