[Ontbirds] Green-winged Teal, London, Greenway Park

Hugh Casbourn hughcas at execulink.com
Mon Feb 16 16:38:10 EST 2009

2009-02-16; Acting on a tip from another birder walking
in Greenway Park, London, Ont. we located two male
Green-winged Teal in full breeding plumage.  This park
borders the Thames River which is in flood today,
though down somewhat from its peak a few days ago.
Other regulars of note include Wood Ducks (2), Hooded
Mergansers (12), Common Mergansers (10) and Bufflehead
(5).  We missed seeing the pair of American Coot that
have been at that location for at least a week and were
seen today.

Greenway Park entrance is off of Springbank Drive west
of Wharncliffe. From Wharncliffe, head west on
Springbank to Greenside Avenue (2nd traffic light).
Turn right at the light and follow the road toward the
Greenway Sewage Treatment plant.  Take the right turn
just before the plant and head toward the dog-walking
park.  You can park there.  Walk to the Thames River
and head west (downstream) along the path. Scan the far
bank, especially near fallen trees, for the teal,
hoodies, and woodies.

Hugh Casbourn and Betsy Baldwin