[Ontbirds] Greater Snow Goose migration in eastern Ontario

Brian.Morin at pc.gc.ca Brian.Morin at pc.gc.ca
Mon Mar 9 09:50:45 EDT 2009

Things are off to an early start this year. A flock of 250 Greater Snow
Geese over the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary on Saturday and a
single bird along the Long Sault Parkway yesterday suggests that we may see
larger flocks earlier than in the past. Usually we don't expect the birds
to appear until later in March. There are plenty of fields with no snow to
accommodate them for daytime feeding.

This will be the final season that I will be collecting data on the spring
migration. Any sightings NOT posted to Ontbirds would be appreciated, even
smaller flocks (I will already be collecting Ontbirds data). Time of day
and flight direction (if in the air) would be useful as well.

A trip to Long Sault yesterday revealed that the open water along the St.
Lawrence at the entrance to the Long Sault Parkway has opened up to
accommodate about 1500 Canada Geese, the first of the season. An additional
500-700 birds were located in the distance from Macdonnel Island. A single
Greater Snow Goose was floating on ice in the now opening channel along the
island.

Long Sault is located along Cty Rd 2 about 15 minutes west of Cornwall. It
can be accessed from exit 778 on Hwy 401.

Brian Morin
Cornwall