[Ontbirds] Barrow's Goldeneye, N. Pintail, Glaucous & Iceland Gulls - Ottawa

Patrick Blake pjblake22 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:29:12 EDT 2009

Greetings ONTBirders:

This evening my wife and I visited the Hurdman area to check up on the male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, which is still in its regular location near the Hurdman footbridge.  Along the riverside male RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS can be heard staking out their territory for the imminent arrival of the females.  Near the Tennis Club was a spectacular male NORTHERN PINTAIL feeding on shore with a flock of mallards - a lifer for me.  When we left at around 7pm (I love the longer daylight hours), the pintail was relocated across the river at Strathcona Park, where it will likely roost for the night.  Also present were two juvenile GLAUCOUS GULLS and a juvenile ICELAND GULL, along with the typical ring-bills and great black-backs.

Good birding!

Pat

DIRECTIONS: From Riverside Drive, follow Riverside to Vanier Parkway, then turn left onto Donald.  The Rideau Tennis Club is located at the end of Donald, where there should be ample parking.  The pintail was located no more than 10 meters south of the Tennis Club when we found it feeding on shore.