[Ontbirds] Ross's Goose in Whitby - March 14

Glenn Coady glenn_coady at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 01:12:07 EDT 2009

Ontbirds subscribers,

Saturday morning I observed a white morph Ross's Goose among several hundred Canada Geese in Lake Ontario just east of Thickson Road, off of Crystal Beach Blvd. This flock floated and flew slowly west until it rounded Thickson Point to the west and was eventually lost to view over the span of an hour.

In the afternoon, I noted this large flock of Canada Geese well off to the west from the pier at Whitby Harbour. About 3:30 p.m. I saw this flock in the lake off the barrier beach at Cranberry Marsh, just to the east of the weir found south of the southern viewing platform on Halls Rd. S. The Ross's Goose was not very far off shore within this large flock of Canada Geese.

I called Tyler Hoar to come down and see the bird at about 4:00 p.m. The Ross's Goose was still present there at 4:45 p.m. when we left.

>From the 401 exit at Thickson Rd., follow Thickson Rd. S. south to Lake Ontario. Crystal Beach Blvd. is the private road that runs east from Thickson Rd. at Lake Ontario.

For Cranberry Marsh, return north on Thickson Rd. S. and turn left onto Victoria St. (just south of the 401). Proceed west on Victoria St. about 5.7 km to the west, and then turn left (south) onto Halls Rd. S. Follow Halls Rd. S. to the lake. The Ross's Goose was last seen in Lake Ontario off Cranberry Marsh, just a few hundred metres to the east of here.

Glenn Coady

Toronto