[Ontbirds] OFO Long Point Field Trip Report

Jim Heslop heslop at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 15 11:29:59 EDT 2009

OFO Long Point Field Trip Report

Leaders: Bob Stamp, John Olmsted and Jim Heslop

On Saturday 14 March, about 40 birders met at St. Williams Forestry Station for a day of birding the Long Point area. The day dawned sunny and mild and this year Long Point Bay was ice-free making for a great day for waterfowl viewing.

Birding highlights:

Thousands of ducks and Tundra Swans peppered and salted Long Point Bay. Especially rejuvenating were the uplifting calls of the swans as groups flew low overhead, while we walked and waded a portion of the A Concession in particular. At least 25 Snow Geese of both blue and white morphs also were on the bay. From the viewing stand on the causeway, we watched as a "flock" of eight cavorting immature Bald Eagles put on an awe-inspiring aerial show.

>From the viewing stand at Lee Brown's Waterfowl Sanctuary the group was especially appreciative of a half dozen Sandhill Cranes that circled and landed in the adjacent field.

Kinglets and creepers, recent early spring migrants such as Great Blue Herons, Killdeer, Horned Larks, and four species of blackbirds, lingering American Tree Sparrows, juncos and Pine Siskins as well as resident Wild Turkeys and Eastern Bluebirds added to our grab bag of species for the day.

A special thank you to:

Bird Studies Canada for again permitting us to lunch at their Old Cut Banding Station,
Steve Thorpe for finding the group a Glaucous Gull through the heat haze on a flooded field on Lakeshore Road,
Diane Salter for allowing us to finish the day enjoying the parade of species coming to her many well-stocked feeders near Walsingham
and, last but not least, to those in the group who car-pooled, making the "train" through the countryside much more manageable.

Good birding from your reporter
Jim Heslop