[Ontbirds] Black Vulture still just north of Rondeau Provincial Park

Allen Woodliffe awoodliffe at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 16:34:57 EDT 2009

The Black Vulture reported yesterday reappeared today, March 15. It was initially seen at the exact same spot, feeding on the remains of the same Virginia Oppossum, at about 10:30 a.m. Later this afternoon several of us saw it perched in a tree about a kilometer closer to Rondeau. It would be perched in a tree for a few minutes then fly out for 200-300 or so metres and then circle back, landing in a different tree. I managed to get quite a few photos of the bird feeding and flying. We observed it last at about 3:45 p.m. In talking with a friend of mine who lives in the immediate vicinity, this bird has been around for up to a week.

Directions: From Hwy 401, take exit 101 (County Road 15) south towards Rondeau. At the corner of County Rd 15 and Rose Beach Line, where County Road 15 takes a sharp right turn towards the park gate, turn instead to the left, NNE, along Rose Beach Line, for about 1 kilometre. Just before the first small bridge, there are a number of trees, most of which were silver poplars, where the bird was observed roosting, preening and periodically moving from one tree to another.

Allen Woodliffe
Chatham