[Ontbirds] Snow Geese, Pipits, Turkey Vulture - Ottawa

gillian_m at sympatico.ca gillian_m at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 15 17:18:05 EDT 2009

Hi Ontbirders,

Earlier this afternoon I came across a large flock of thousands of Canada Geese in a field north of Barnsdale Road between Twin Elm and Moodie.  At least three Snow Geese were visible among the flock, including one bright white adult and two juveniles still retaining a grayish hue.  While watching the geese, I could hear the distinctive call of American Pipits coming from the field in front of me - and managed to glimpse two before losing them among the corn stalks.

Also worth noting is the first Turkey Vulture of the year soaring along the escarpment at Huntmar Road just where it crosses the train tracks.

Directions:

Barnsdale Road:  From Highway 416 take exit 66 (Fallowfield Road). Follow Fallowfield Road west for an additional 0.4 km to reach Moodie Drive. Turn left or southeast onto Moodie Drive and drive past Cambrian Road and quarry ponds to Barnsdale Road.  Turn right onto Barnsdale - the geese were on the north side, extending from Moodie to almost Twin Elm.  Note - while the shoulder is now free of snow and ice, it is very narrow and difficult to pull your car completely off the road.

Huntmar Drive:  From Highway 417 take exit 142 (Palladium Drive). Follow Palladium around to the northeast 1.0 km to Huntmar Drive. Turn left or northwest onto Huntmar and go 3.8 km to the bridge over the Carp River ....the Turkey Vulture was soaring in this area on the right.

Gillian Mastromatteo
Ottawa, ON

http://gillianm.livejournal.com/