[Ontbirds] Pine Siskins Nesting in Oxford County

JAMES HOLDSWORTH jmholdsworth at rogers.com
Fri Apr 24 14:22:20 EDT 2009

Ontbirders,

Although long suspected, based on behaviour and other Ontbird posts on the same subject, I was finally able to confirm breeding of Pine Siskins in Oxford County this past week. One pair, near Woodstock, was feeding fledged young while two other pairs in the Beachville area were carrying food into nest sites.

This is the third county record of breeding Pine Siskins, with both of the previous records occurring during invasion years, when large numbers of Siskins have lingered into the breeding season.

It should be noted that there are many other pairs of Siskins throughout Oxford County, displaying similar breeding indicators and it would not be surprising if many of these are also nesting. Over the past few weeks I have noted pairs of Siskins, displaying various levels of breeding evidence, at sites near Port Dover, Hamilton, Cambridge and Kitchener. It would appear that nesting of Siskins is occurring over a large area and probably in substantial numbers.

Cheers,
James Holdsworth
jmholdsworth at rogers.com