[Ontbirds] Summer Tanagers, Long Point April 25th

Carol & Jim burrellsc at golden.net
Sat Apr 25 14:40:16 EDT 2009

Hey Birders,

I was down at Long Point this morning. As expected, lots of newly arrived
migrants were around, among them the highlight by far for me, was finding 2
separate Summer Tanagers! The first was an adult male, found just after 7am
by the Provincial Park gate. I saw it just passed the gate and was singing
and actively feeding in the white pines along the main road. The second
bird, a second-year male (really "blotchy") was seen briefly in the Old
Provincial Park before it flew east at 9:45.

Lots of first's for the year; Least Flycatcher (1), Chimney Swift (1),
Swainson's Thrush (~20), Wood Thrush (1), Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1), Gray
Catbird (5), Common Yellowthroat (1), Nashville (1), Black-throated Green
(3), Palm (1), and Yellow Warblers (15). At the Port Rowan sewage lagoons
were 1 Black Tern and 3 Spotted Sandpipers.

Directions: Long Point Provincial Park: take Hwy 59 south all the way, and
park by the gate, most of the stuff mentioned was seen just walking along
the park road and at Old Cut. Email me if you want more specific directions.

Good Birding,

Ken Burrell

Heidelberg, Ontario