[Ontbirds] Early arrivals on the eastern Lake Ontario shoreline

Wayne Renaud waynerenaud1951 at aol.com
Sun Apr 26 21:15:42 EDT 2009

Today I birded several parks and other natural areas along or near
Lake Ontario starting at Paletta Park, Burlington east to Rattray
Marsh Conservation area: in between I birded Shell Park, sw Oakville;
Gairloch Garden, Oakville, Arkendo Park, se Oakville, and Lakeside
Park sw Mississauga.  I recorded seven species of Warbler (with
totals): Yellow-rumped (191), Black-throated Green (8),  Palm (6),
Nashville (5), Black-and-white (5);  Pine (3) and Yellow (1); the
latter was a male in breeding found by two other birder high in
deciduous trees in large wood lot in the northeast sector of the
Park.  I also recorded a total of 14 Gray-headed and 2 Warbling
Vireos.  Other birds of note was a Whip-poor-will sleeping on
horizontal sumach branch in dense deciduous forest near Sheridan Creek
about 150 meter upstream from the bridge closest to marsh and a Brown
Thrasher in Gairlock gardens along the east fence.  I also found a 3rd
year Kumlien's Iceland Gull feeding about 30 meters off the mouth of
Joshua Creek in Arkendo Park.  I also found two pairs of Pine Siskins
singing on territory on the periphery of Rattray Marsh Conservation
Area: one near the west parking lot of Greenglade School (at the east
of the street by the same name), the other near the south-eastern
entrance to the Marsh trial.   I was also impressed by the large and
widespreads number of Hermit Thrushes and White-throated Sparrows.

Directions:
Rattray Marsh I located along the Lake Ontario Shoreline between
Mississauga Road and Erin Mills Parkway.  I highly advise any going to
there to print out a map is available through the Credit Valley
Conservation Authority website under the name Rattray Marsh; the
handiest street parking to Lakeshore is available at the south end of
Bexhill when runs off Lakeshore about 5 long block east of the
intersection of Lakeshore and Erin Mills Parkway and just west of
Clarkson.  It's just a short walk down the hill into the heart of this
amazing natural area.

Paletta Park is located in Burlington south of Lakeshore between
Appleby and Walkers Lines (easily marked by two large signs).

Shell Park is located in Oakville and is only about 300 meters east of
the intersection of Great Lakes Boulevard (an extension of Burloak)
and very lose to the se corner of Burlington.  The trails are bit
confusing, to say the least, but the two main areas of bird activity
are usually along the densely plant creek-side and long narrow wood
lot to the northeast.

Gairloch Gardens are located south of Lakeshore just east of down town
Oakville between Trafalgar road and Royal Windor Drive (the signs are
clearly visible from Lakeshore).

Arkendo Park is located in se Oakville at the mouth of Joshua Creek;
the street heading south of Lakeshore has the same name as the park
and leads to cul-de-sac a short distance from where the informal
trails area located.

Lakeside Park is located equidistant between the ends of Royal Windsor
Drive and Erin Mills Park way; it is just west of 'leash-free park' by
the same name.

Wayne Renaud