[Ontbirds] Carolina Wren - Goulais River, Ontario (25 km north of Sault Ste. Marie) - Almost Northern Ontario

McIlwrick, Ken Ken.McIlwrick at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Apr 28 08:18:23 EDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I apologize for the delay of this message. I did try to post it yesterday but had email address issues to deal with.

On April 27/09 just after 12:15pm, I observed, photographed, video-taped and GPS'ssed a Carolina Wren in a rural neighbourhood in Goulais River, Ontario (a naturalist from the area, invited me to check out and hopefully confirm the identity of a Wren, that has apparently been watched and heard in this neighbourhood for over a month).

This loud little fellow can be found singing at 54 Water Cr, Goulais River, Ontario.

The best route to this location is:

Follow Hwy 17 North from Sault Ste. Marie, ON  for 25 km; at this point turn left (west) onto Pineshores Road; follow Pineshores Road for about 8 km and just before the big bend ends, turn right onto Water Cres and follow until you reach # 54. The bird is in the backyard area only 10 meters from the laneway.

While I was at this location the bird actually flew across a local slough (part of the river) to properties located along Pineshores Road (with address #'s between 1500 and 1600).

The GPS location of the laneway - Nad 83 dd  - N 46.70969 W 084.44112  (almost "Northern Ontario")

Ken McIlwrick
Sault Ste. Marie, ON