[Ontbirds] Black Vulture, Ferndale

Virgil Martin virgilm at rogers.com
Mon May 18 00:25:46 EDT 2009

A single Black Vulture was seen traversing the 'Ferndale Flats' (central
Bruce Peninsula) this afternoon at 2:00 pm.  The bird was first seen about 2
km southwest of Ferndale keeping company with a Turkey Vulture and tacking
northwest on strong west winds.  We lost it somewhere near the Huron shore,
but it reappeared about 2 minutes later, alone, travelling very quickly east
toward Lion's Head, where we again lost it.

Although it seems likely that it has moved on, it is possible it may still
be somewhere on the Bruce.

Ferndale is about 50 km north of Owen Sound on Highway 6.

Virgil Martin
Waterloo