[Ontbirds] Rondeau Migration Report May 18

Steve LaForest stevelaforest at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 12:51:00 EDT 2009

Hello Ontbirders,
   I have received additional reports concerning the large flocks of shorebirds at the extreme south beach of Rondeau yesterday, best seen from the main docks in Erieau.  The total number of BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS has been variously estimated between 500 and 1,000 birds.  Also present were 9 SANDERLINGS, and 5 DOWITCHER species (too far for positive identification).  Numbers seen there today were considerably reduced, but 2 LEAST SANDPIPERS, 2 SANDERLINGS, and 3 RUDDY TURNSTONES were observed.  In the onion fields off Erieau Road, there were 50 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS today.
   A WHITE-EYED VIREO has been noted on Tulip Tree Trail.  As for other songbirds, the numbers of Empidonax flycatchers in the park have increased.  In addition to yesterday's YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, an ACADIAN FLYCATCHER was seen this morning on Spicebush Trail.
   The PROTHONOTARY WARBLER has been seen reguarly on Tulip Tree Trail.  Our warbler tally so far today is 21 species.  Tulip Tree Trail, the Pony Barn and the Maintenance Loop have been the most productive sites this morning.
   A flock of ~1,000+ BONAPARTE'S GULLS has been seen offshore at South Point Trail.
   In addition to the GREAT EGRET just outside the park at Bates Marsh, one was seen at McGeachy Pond yesterday.
   I would appreciate receiving messages concerning observations at the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons and other Rondeau area birding locations (e.g. Erieau) for posting on Ontbirds and to forward to the local Bird Records Committee.

   As the spring birding program winds down, I would like to say thanks to all of the wonderful Rondeau birders who have made this spring's event such a great success.  Much appreciation to those who have taken the time to "x" records on our sightings boards, write their observations into the Bird Sightings Book, and report other sightings (from herptiles to butterflies to wildflowers in bloom).  An especially big thank you to those who have sent photos, filled out rare bird reports, taken part in the Big Day Competition, and submitted their ongoing records.

   I look forward to seeing you next May for another outstanding spring birding season at Rondeau.

Steve

   More information on the Park's nature programs and the Friends of Rondeau is available at the Friends' web site: www.rondeauprovincialpark.ca

DIRECTIONS:
Take Exit 101 from Highway 401 and drive south 16 km on Chatham Kent Road
15.  Turn right and follow the signs to the Park.  The Bird Sightings Book, Bird Sightings Boards, and other relevant information are located at the Visitor Centre (open from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm from May 2 - 18), 6 km south of the Park Gate.

Steve LaForest
Friends of Rondeau Bird Guide
c/o Rondeau Visitor Centre (519) 674-1768