[Ontbirds] Whimbrel at Colonel Sam Park, Etobicoke

MARK CRANFORD mark.cranford at rogers.com
Wed May 20 11:30:12 EDT 2009

The first flight of 27 Whimbrel were recorded by the quasi-official Whimbrel Migration Count by David Hallett at 10:30 am today. I am coordinating the count for the Toronto Ornithological Club and volunteer counters are welcome (and needed).

The count is in conjunction with the Center for Conservation Biology at William and Mary College in Williamburg Virginia.  They inform me that as of this morning the bulk of Whimbrel have not left but are active and will leave any day (hour).

Colonel Sam Smith Park is at the bottom of Kipling Avenue in Etobicoke on Lake Ontario. The count location is a bench on the east beach nearing the south-east corner of the park.