[Ontbirds] Cooper's Hawk (?) nest in Ottawa

Marc St. Onge stongey at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:18:13 EDT 2009

I happened upon a clearly visible Cooper's Hawk nest (well, could be
Sharp-Shinned, I have to check the pictures...) at Lotta and Merivale
in Ottawa today.

I was shopping at LeBaron and pulling out of the parking lot when
something swooped down over my car, followed seconds later by another.
The second one was the female. It was carrying some prey and went
right into the nest.

The male perched in the tree right behind the PartsSource store and
preened while the female disappeared into the nest.

The nest is in a private home's backyard tree but clearly visible from
the parking lot. Search "45.357136,-75.739177" on Google Maps.

Marc