[Ontbirds] Presqu'ile Shorebirds

Bree, David (MNR) david.bree at ontario.ca
Fri May 22 13:01:36 EDT 2009

Shorebird numbers of up to 6000 birds (95%) Dunlin peaked today on
Presqu'ile beach at about 11am.  Between 11:30am and 12:15pm flocks of
50 to 200 began leaving the beach and heading NW over the Northumberland
hills. At the present time about 400-500 birds remain scattered along
the beach, mostly the south end.  These birds seem content to feed and
show no particular restlessness and will probably stay for the rest of
the day.  As per the previous posting most birds are Dunlin, with Least
and Semipalmated Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones and
Short-billed Dowitchers mixed in.

With shorebird numbers falling below 500 on the beach we have lifted the
beach access restrictions and people can once more walk on the beach,
though as always we ask people to respect feeding and resting birds and
not to approach them too closely.

Presqu'ile Park can be reached by exiting Hwy 401 at exit 509 (Hwy 30)
and heading south through the town of Brighton to the park (about
15minutes). The directions are well sign-posted from the 401.

Locations within the Park are shown on a map at the back of a tabloid
that is available at the Park gate.  Access to the offshore islands is
restricted at this time of year to prevent disturbance to the colonial
nesting birds there.

David

David Bree

Natural Heritage Education (NHE) Leader