[Ontbirds] Durham and Carden birding May 23rd

Geoff - Birds avocet at rogers.com
Sun May 24 09:16:53 EDT 2009

On my birdathon (team = Terrie Smith, Tony Bigg and Peter & Daniel Hogenbirk) we found 163 species in Durham and Carden Alvar. Thx for all who offered advice along the way and in particular to Rayfield Pye, Margaret Carney and Tyler Hoar for specific tips that helped us out greatly.

Highlights included:

Hudsonian Godwit (thx for posting this for me Rayfield) on Hall's Road north of Hwy 2
Red Knot and 4 turnstones + 4 other spp at Darlington barrier beach
Short-billed Dowitcher + a Pectoral Sandp. + 4 other spp of shorebirds at Port Perry
2 Red-thr Loons off Courtice Rd + WW Scoters and Long-tailed Ducks
Red-necked grebe off the foot of Hall's Rd at the lake + Common Golden-eye
Another golden-eye at Second Marsh + 2 at Port Perry sewage lagoons (don't forget your permit)
Ruddy Ducks at Port Perry + one at McLaughlin Bay
Red-headed Woodpecker on McNamee Rd (Carden) + 2 Merlins, many Sedge Wrens, Golden-winged Warblers, Cay-coloured & Grasshopper Sparrows, nighthawks, whip-poor-wills at Carden
10 cuckoos at Carden (eight Black-billed and two Yellow-billed)
Purple Martins at Port Perry (the town) - are these the last surviving martins in Durham Region?
4 owl species (Great Horned, Screech, Long-eared & Barred)
Black-poll warblers everywhere

If you need any specific directions pls email.

Geoffrey Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com