[Ontbirds] Brighton Constructed Wetland

Maureen Lee briscoedog at hotmail.com
Sun May 24 21:31:05 EDT 2009

Greetings: This report comes on behalf of Keith (Tiny) Lee.

The Wetland was open Friday (May 22) evening and this morning (May 24).  When I got out of my car Friday evening a Black-crowned Night Heron was by the little stream.  This was the first of the season for the wetland. It reappear in the north cell this morning, much to the thrill of the four of us standing together.  Other Herons of note are the Green and Great Blue. The illusive Sora that has been heard by numerous individuals was "actually" seen by Rod Lee Friday evening.

Anyone wishing to see one (or more) of the Virginia Rail need only walk with Tiny.  Tiny is Rail magnet.  He is capable of spotting this magnificent little bird with, what appears to be, great ease.  Tiny observed two Rail preening each other today.  Hopefully that is a sign that they will start getting down to business and give us little Rails.

The shorebirds have been interesting also.  There have been many Dunlin, Lesser Yellowlegs, a Greater Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper and Least Sandpipers.  We have seen an increase in the number of Killdeer too.

The Osprey continue to nest.  We have not seen anything yet.  However it was June 1, 2008 when three of us noticed a little white bundle of fluff in the nest.

This morning a woman asked if it was possible to see a Sedge Wren at the Wetland.  I do not know the answer to her question, so I am hoping that someone out there will be able to answer that question for us.

Tiny will post when the Wetland will be open again.

Maureen

Brighton is located at exit 509 (Highway 30) south off Highway 401.  Follow Highway 30 into Brighton.  Highway 30 becomes County Road 64 after a sweeping curve in the road.  The Wetland is located on the south side of the bend.  Please use caution when approaching the Wetland.  The speed limit increase to 80k/m about 100 metres before the Wetland.