[Ontbirds] Chaffey's Locks - Cerulean & Golden-winged Warblers, Y-T Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
pjblake22 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 12:58:52 EDT 2009
I spent the morning at Chaffey's Locks, birding along Opinicon Road. Highlights included:
- 10 CERULEAN WARBLERS: can be heard and seen (with patience) almost anywhere along Opinicon Road, especially around the Skycroft Campground and west from there.
- 4 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS: concentrated mostly around the Skycroft Campgrounds, although one was near the Opinicon & Darling intersection.
- 2 GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLERS: saw one, heard another near the cemetery on Opinicon Road past Rock Lake Road.
- 5 YELLOW-THROATED VIREOS: concentrated mainly around the hiking trails across from the Skycroft Campground.
- 1 RED-SHOULDERED HAWK: could be heard calling near the cemetery off of Opinicon Road; eventually I saw it soaring high over the fields.
- 2 BARRED OWLS: heard calling around Opinicon & Darling intersection.
DIRECTIONS: Follow Hwy 15 south past Portland, turning right onto Chaffeys Lock Road. Follow this through Chaffeys Lock (where the road becomes Opinicon Road) for about 8km. Watch for the "Skycroft Campgrounds" sign on the left, and anywhere along the roadside and along the marked trails across from the campgrounds are fair game for the species mentioned.
Windows Live helps you keep up with all your friends, in one place.
More information about the ONTBIRDS