[Ontbirds] Possible Plegadis Ibis Cornwall

Mark Cranford ontbirds_coord at rogers.com
Tue Jun 23 22:41:15 EDT 2009

I don't know the observer or the location but report sounds interesting, Green Heron can have bright legs. Report as received follows

Mark Cranford
Ontbirds Coordinator
Mississauga, OB

June 22, 2009
I don't know how to post on the web site.  Please post this and edite it as you wish.

This afternoon I went for a walk along
the Raisen River, just south (downstream) from the Williamstown
Bridge.  Williamstown is N/W of Lancaster which is on the 401 in
Eastern Ontario, and N/E of Cornwall.

As I walked along the shore I flushed
a heron like bird.  It was unmistakable.  All black from the distance.
I thought it was the size of a green heron but there was one
unmistakeable feature, besides the body and wing shape.  This
feature was the completely red legs trailing behind in flight.

Upon returning home I check the bird book.  It is definitely a White Faced Ibis in Breeding plumage.

To see the bird come to the bridge in
the centre of Williamstown.  The river runs south to the St. Lawrence
at Lancaster.  On the West side of the river is the old township office
now the home of the Quilt of Belonging. www.quiltofbelonging.ca
You can park in the parking lot.  I walked South past two houses onto
the Parks Canada land.  There is the Sir John Johnson house on the
site. http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng//lhn-nhs/on/johnjohnson/visit/plus_more.aspx
I walked along the edge of the historic site and down the bank to the
river.  As I approached the stone ruins of the old mill I flushed the
bird.  Later I could hear it calling from the trees.

A few years earlier I watched a Glossy Ibis for about 30 minutes in the coopers Marsh, Lancaster, Ontario.

Later this evening I walked along the
Cornwall Canal, in the West end of Cornwall, at 2nd Street West and
Queen Street and saw two Black Crowned Night herons standing on the
rotting railroad ties that were part of the historic canal.  Rusted
hardware, spikes were still visible in the wood and a beautiful blue
flag iris bloomed on the ties.  I've often seen Black Crowned Night
Herons here.  They next in a rockery S/W of the power damn along with
Snowy egrets, commorants, and 1000s of gulls.

Michael Hermann
Cornwall ON
613-938-6922
Michael H. Hermann 1402 Leonard Avenue Cornwall, Ontario K6J 1M8 613-938-6922 mh2hermann at sympatico.ca