[Ontbirds] Birds at Blenheim Lagoons June 27

Blake A. Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sat Jun 27 15:12:36 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I stopped at Blenheim Sewage Lagoons this morning during my travels.  Some
interesting birds were there.

Pond 3:  Tundra Swan (!), Green-winged Teal (3 male), Hooded Merganser
(females), Least Sandpiper (one ad.; a fall migrant).
Pond 4:  Green Heron
Pond 5:  Common Moorhen (2-rather uncommon for this area), Redhead duck (2
male), American Wigeon (3 male), Wood Ducks, several Pied-billed Grebes.

There were several Northern Shovelers and Ruddy Ducks as well, and numerous
Killdeer.

Ponds 1 & 3 have been drawn down to reveal a good edge for southbound
shorebirds.
Location of ponds is marked in the sightings book at the gate.

Lagoon Directions:  Exit 401 at #90 (Communications Rd.) and head into
Blenheim.  At the main stoplight turn right (west) onto Rd. 3.  Travel about
1.5 km and turn right (north) onto Lagoon Rd. at the carwash, and continue
north about 1 km to gate.  You must have an annual permit to enter.
 Available at the Municipal Service Centre, 35 Talbot St. in Blenheim,
during  business hours, fax (519) 676-0244.

Blake A. Mann
Wallaceburg
Chatham-Kent, Ontario
boatmannATkentDOTnet